Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WCW: Laverne Cox


Happy Wednesday Y'all!

I hope you are all staying warm! Sadly, Knoxville has been frozen over this week, however the upside is I have not seen the inside of a class room since Monday morning! But I am NOT complaining, I will gladly take my snow days and catch up on Gilmore Girls in my favorite jammies! 

So last Wednesday I got the privilege to attend an event hosted by UTK's Women's Coordinating Council with featured a lecture from the one and only Laverne Cox! The title of the lecture (and tour) is Ain't I A Woman: My Journey to Womanhood. She spent about ninety minutes discussing her life as a trans woman of color; giving narratives about her journey to womanhood, professional achievement, and self-acceptance. And it was truly great!!

Afterwards, there was a brief Q&A in which she told us about her Christmas Card from Beyoncé, how to support transgender friends/family, and her new TV show for CBS. The night ended with a Meet & Greet (in which we were strongly informed NOT to touch Laverne since it is still Flu season) and this was probably my favorite part! Not only did I get a great picture with her, BUT she told me I was gorgeous and I literally could have melted!


(This was me on the inside the entire time I took the picture and after)


Overall, it was definitely an experience that I will always remember and probably in my Top 10 favorite moments of my freshman year at UT. And to think I have at least three more to go!



|Outfit| Top {Old Navy}, Jeans {Old Navy}, Clutch {via Jane Deals}, 
Necklace {Body Central}*, Boots {DEB}*

- Lindsay J.



*= These stores have gone out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment